St. Rose of Lima Parish, Antipolo, Rizal
The Parish of St. Rose of Lima is situated in the valley of Teresa formerly called Oroquieta, and it used to be part of the municipality of Morong before it was annexed to Antipolo. The town’s name Oroquieta was later changed to Sta. Rosa in honor of the Patroness. For the third time, Sta. Rosa was finally changed to Teresa in honor of the mother of Don Mariano Rodriquez Candelaria, a spanish lawyer who labored for the independence of the town.
In 1903 a chapel, a camalig style building was erected to honor Sta Rosa. The most notable event that led to the devotion was the miracle that saved many people’s lives during the early years of American Regime. The Chapel was destroyed during the Japanese time and was reconstructed only after the liberation.
A permanent concrete church structure was built as the economic situation of the town has improved. To accommodate the growing population of the faithful , different parish priests tried to maximize the floor area by extending the church side and front walls to the boundary line. After exhausting all the structural renovations to hold in the people, the parish priests and the lay faithful unanimously agreed that the church needed a bigger land area to ease the crowded condition inside.
The dream came true in 2007 when the Cruz sisters thru Fr. Balagtas offered the present lot at a very low price. August 18, 2007, Most Rev. Gabriel Reyes blessed the foundation. And in December 2007, the main donor Miss Teresita Ty, daughter of Norberto Ty and Salustiana Dee, finalized the land purchase deal in the Bishop’s Residence.